A prisoner who died at HMP Nottingham had a history of self-harm

A prisoner who died at HMP Nottingham had a history of self-harm and had already attempted to take his own life in police custody, an inquest has heard.

Shane Stroughton, who was the first of five inmates to die at the jail in the space of a month, was found hanged in his cell in September 2017 despite having “frequent” contact with medical professionals.

The 29-year-old, who was originally jailed for assault at the age of 19, was recalled to prison for breaching a curfew after being released on licence three months before his death.

An inquest jury at Nottingham Coroner’s Court heard that an ambulance was called to the jail and CPR was administered but Mr Stroughton could not be resuscitated.

The category B prison, which has a capacity of 1,060, was found to be “fundamentally unsafe” following an inspection in January last year – prompting the first use of the “urgent notification” system.

Introducing the case to the jury, Assistant Coroner Ivan Cartwright said: “At prison, he was accommodated in a number of different cells.

“During his time in prison, Mr Stroughton had frequent contact with healthcare and medical staff.”

Mr Cartwright told the jury that the inmate had a history of self-harm.

He said: “Mr Stroughton made an attempt to hang himself in police custody.

“He made a number of different attempts to harm himself.

“On September 13 2017, a prison officer was unlocking cell doors for prisoners to collect their evening meals. They found Mr Stroughton hanging.”

The inquest, expected to last seven days, continues.

Holme House Prison Damned By Inquest Jury

holme-house

In a damning verdict returned late on Thursday 13 June, the jury in the inquest into the death of Andrew Hall on 27 March 2009 found that he took his own life whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed, contributed to by neglect.

This is the third short form neglect verdict returned following a self inflicted death at Holme House prison.

Following three full weeks of evidence, the lengthy jury verdict listed 21 separate failures of Andrew Hall’s care and treatment at HMP Holme House. These included failures in risk assessment and risk management, and serious failures in communication. 

Andrew served part of his sentence at HMP Kirklevington.  Whilst there, he had attempted suicide by cutting both wrists.  Following a period of hospitalisation he was transferred to Holme House prison on an open ACCT (Assessment, Care in Custody, and Teamwork – the system used for prisoners who are at risk of self harm), which was subsequently closed.  The jury concluded that this ACCT should not have been closed.  Following the (improper) closure of the ACCT, on 23 March, Andrew was further assessed by a psychiatrist who considered him to be psychotic and at significant risk of self harm. Despite this, no ACCT was re-opened, a clear failure identified by the jury.  The jury found that none of the nurses in the subsequent four days had read the psychiatrist’s documented assessment. As a consequence, he was not afforded the level of observations, interaction and care necessary.

As a result, despite being in a camera cell, he was not being properly observed when he first inflicted a wound to his neck four days later.  The jury concluded that the failure to observe and interact contributed to his death.  In a devastating criticism, the jury also found ‘there was an opportunity for the staff to intervene between the time when he inflicted a wound to the vein in his neck and the time when he inflicted a wound to the artery in his neck’.  This period lasted around 20 minutes, during which blood could be seen on CCTV on the floor of the cell.

The full verdict is available from INQUEST.

At the conclusion of the inquest, the deputy coroner indicated that he would be reviewing recommendations made following previous inquests into deaths at HMP Holme House before drafting his own, with specific reference to continuing failures of record keeping and communications between discipline staff, nursing staff and the mental health in-reach team.  Since Andrew Hall died, there have been five further self-inflicted deaths at HMP Holme House. 

Paula Davidson, Andrew’s partner said:

“The verdict today has proven Andrew’s death was unnecessary and if individuals had carried out their roles there would not have been failings in his care which resulted in Andrew’s death

“There have been a number of deaths before and after Andrew’s death and we hope that lessons have been learned from today’s verdict which the jury have returned.

“I would not have the truth for the family and also for our little girl today if it had not been for the support from INQUEST and I would like to thank them and Fiona Borrill and Imogen Hamblin from Lester Morrill solicitors and Sean Horstead from Garden Court Chambers for all their support throughout this four year experience.”

Deborah Coles, co-director of INQUEST said:

“Had greater care been taken been taken of Andrew this tragic and disturbing death might not have happened at all.

“The fact that this is the third neglect verdict since 2004 at HMP Holme House should be a wake up call to the prison service.  Moreover, that there have been five further self inflicted deaths there since Andrew Hall died in March 2009 suggests that little has been done to address the issues raised at this and previous inquests.

“It is crucial for the safety of all prisoners at Holme House that these failings are addressed as a matter of urgency.”

The family is represented by INQUEST Lawyers Group members Fiona Borrill and Imogen Hamblin from Lester Morrill solicitors and barrister Sean Horstead of Garden Court Chambers. The same team represented the families of the two other self-inflicted deaths at HMP Holme House where neglect verdicts were returned at inquest.

Ends

Notes to editors:

1.  Full background on Andrew Hall’s death can be accessed here

2.  The full jury verdict is available from INQUEST.  Please contact Hannah Ward.

For further information, please contact: Hannah Ward, Communications Manager at INQUEST on 020 7263 1111/07972 492 230 or hannahward@inquest.org.uk

INQUEST provides a general telephone advice, support and information service to any bereaved person facing an inquest and a free, in-depth complex casework service on deaths in custody/state detention or involving state agents and works on other cases that also engage article 2 of the ECHR and/or raise wider issues of state and corporate accountability. INQUEST’s policy and parliamentary work is informed by its casework and we work to ensure that the collective experiences of bereaved people underpin that work. Its overall aim is to secure an investigative process that treats bereaved families with dignity and respect; ensures accountability and disseminates the lessons learned from the investigation process in order to prevent further deaths occurring.

Please refer to INQUEST the organisation in all capital letters in order to distinguish it from the legal hearing.

TROUBLING LINCOLN PRISON DEATH INQUEST STARTS

The inquest into the death of Paul Murphy is due to commence on Monday 14th May 2012, at Lincoln Crown Court, The Castle, Castle Hill, Lincoln LN1 3GA, before HM Coroner for Lincoln, Stuart Fisher.

Paul was 39 years old when he died on 13 June 2008 after being found hanging in his cell at HMP Lincoln.  He had been moved to the Vulnerable Prisoners Wing as he had got into debt with other prisoners and feared reprisals. On 12 June he was made subject to his third ACCT document after expressing further fears of harm from others, displaying paranoid behaviour and threatening to cut his wrists. Overnight he was subject to minimal checks and not placed in a safer cell.

Paul’s family hope that the inquest will explore the quality of the care he received on 12/13 June, and any possible links with a prison officer suspended the following month, and ultimately dismissed, for trafficking drugs and mobile phones within the prison.

The inquest is scheduled to last for two weeks.